Pages

Friday, November 20, 2015

The Usual Complaints + Social Media Rant

Sleep
It usually takes me a while to get to sleep and when I finally do I don't sleep all that well.  It doesn't matter what time I go to bed I'm always tired.  I get through work in a haze of fatigue.  I perk up a bit more at home, but the work days are really long and exhausting.  Weekends are better.  I stay up as late as I want, go to sleep when I am really tired, and wake up whenever I want.  I have to be dead tired to sleep well enough or the time to sleep in as long as I need to in order to feel rested.

Weight
I loose and gain the same 2-3 lbs over and over again depending on whether or not I'm retaining water.  The lowest I've seen since June is 138 and then inevitably I'll be bloated the next day and shoot up a few pounds.  The bloating has no real rhyme or reason half the time.  I know it's happening when I guzzle water on the way to work at 7am and then barely have to pee by the time lunchtime rolls around and then when I do hardly anything comes out.  Not normal.   I was 138.2 yesterday but I knew right away it wouldn't last because I retained most of the water I drank that day.  Then it goes up and up until the bloat goes away and it gradually goes down, only to start the same cycle over again. I'm so over it.

Exercise
I've continued to run/walk on weekends but got lazy with my weekday workouts.  I did my first circuit training workout in almost three weeks on Monday.  Between the time change and it getting dark so early and being so tired, I haven't felt like working out after work.  The other part of it is that nothing I do changes a damn thing about my weight.  I am much less motivated to work out when it feels like a battle I am never going to win anyway.  I will get back into it when I set my mind to it.  I always do.  I will probably get serious again in January when my husband leaves.  I'm not gaining right now and after everything I've put my metabolism through over the years I feel okay about taking it easy.  Maybe my body needs it.   

Social Media
I've decided that social media is really bad for me.  I think I knew this all along, but all the Essenia O'neil drama clarified it.  I am highly impressionable, insecure, prone to depression, hard on myself and have a real problem with comparing myself to others.  This does not mesh well with social media.  And now that blogging has become part of the social media machine I don't even feel good about that anymore.  I'm not talking about this anonymous blog.  I have a different one.  The blog world is so fake and not at all as supportive as it seemed to be before money entered the scene and it became a business.  I guess I get it for businesses.  But people have become businesses and the lines are blurred.  In the blog world it's like you don't exist unless you have thousands of social media followers.  Not everyone is into it, but it's hard not to feel left out.  Blogging used to be just blogging and now you have to sell yourself and I don't have the personality for it.  I write stuff on the internet.  What exactly am I selling?  Why does everyone expect to be famous without actually doing anything of significance?  It never sat well with me to buy add space and give away free stuff left and right just to gain followers.  More followers, means more comments, which gets you in with popular bloggers, which gets you more page views, which gets you free stuff and sponsored posts, which gets you even more followers.  Well, a lot of bloggers were all in for that and I got left behind.  Fine.  Then came social media.  Popular bloggers do well over there too and not so popular bloggers or non bloggers better have something else going for them.  Get yourself on a reality show.  Loose a lot of weight.  Be skinny.  Be really pretty, be fashionable, be talented.  Do something big.  Be a bikini competitor.  Be a teenage all-star World Champion cheerleader.  Go viral.  Have quintuplets.  Travel the world for a living.  Even having a really cute baby can be just the thing.  People looooove babies.  Babies get a lot of likes.  Inspire envy in some way.  Some people get followers without doing a whole lot, but if you are not one of those people you have to do something to get noticed.     

It always comes down to numbers with me.  When it comes to my weight it's never low enough and when it comes to social media it's not high enough.  I allow myself to be negatively influenced by numbers over and over again.  I don't follow too many celebrities on social media because I can't relate to their fabulous lifestyle.  I'm just not that interested in following their lives on Instagram.  I follow gymnasts, dancers, people who work out, and other bloggers because that's what I was interested in.  Well, it's not just celebrities anymore that are being worshiped and envied by the masses.  I have never been the popular girl that gets liked and being on social media shoves it in my face every day.  I know it's not all real or whatever, but seeing 6 pack abs skinny BBG Kalya Itsines wannabes, fashion bloggers, lifestyle bloggers, and other random people who are popular for who knows what with thousands of followers and likes on every picture is just another message to me that I don't measure up.  These are regular people, with regular jobs who are presumably like me and yet they have skyrocketed to internet fame.  The popular people.  This club that I can't ever seen to get into. I don't have the numbers to be liked by them and I am not inspirational enough, skinny enough, pretty enough or savvy enough to get the numbers.  I mean really, would I follow me on Instagram?  I'm biased, so I can't even come close to objectively answering that question but based on my numbers probably not.   Also, when you get right down to it I do think it's kind of stupid and it makes me feel stupid spending too much time on it.  I don't live my life on social media nor do I want to.  I'm torn between knowing how silly it all is and wanting to be part of it.  Nobody cares about what I had for dinner, that I just burned 500 calories on the elliptical, that I put my hair in a bun, that I bought new boots or that I am watching Scandal right?  Why am I blasting this information to the world? Well, that all depends on who you are.  If you have 50,000 followers the meal I had for dinner is everyone's favorite, I am so inspirational and amazing for hitting that calorie burn, my bun looks like a delicious ice cream cone, where did I get my boots because they must also have them, and oh my gosh-Scandal is the best isn't it?  If you have 200 followers.  Crickets. 

I went on a serious unfollowing spree on Instagram and Bloglovin.  I unfollowed accounts that were making me feel bad about myself either because I can't bear to see another post full of fan girls worshiping the ground they walk on or because I'm tired of being snubbed because I don't have a lot of followers.  It's not them, it's me.  So fat.  So jealous.  And it is kind of pathetic, but I have to do what I have to do.  I don't even want to be envied and worshiped.  I just want to be liked, but I didn't even care about any of that until other people started caring about it so much. I didn't care about how many followers I had on my blog until other bloggers started posting how excited they were to hit 500 and talking about the  best way to get followers.  Remember, I'm highly impressionable.  I don't have a problem with Facebook because it is not linked to blogging whatsoever so I don't feel pressure to sell myself or try to be popular.  I am only friends there with people that I have a real life connection to.  Twitter doesn't bother me too much either.  The feed is miles long and it's too much to look at so I rarely do.  Although, they do have this really cool feature to check your tweet activity to see how many people interacted with it and they did just introduce the like button.  More and more ways to measure your social media popularity.   Instagram is the worst for me, and blogging has become something that I enjoy less and less because of the way the community and expectations have changed.  I always did, but I am really doing it for myself now since I don't have a lot of readers and I'm not doing the commercial quit your job to blog thing.  If I can't get anyone to take an interest in me or my blog how would I ever get anyone to read my novel? Marketing is all part of the ballgame and I'm terrible at it.

The root cause of all of this is that I don't like myself enough to not have feelings about all of this at all.  I'm a grown ass woman and I thought the days of feeling insecure about this kind of foolishness were behind me.  The age of social media has likely spawned a whole generation of very young kids like Essenia who truly believe that their worth depends on how popular they are on social media and equate internet likes with love.  People putting so much TMI and so much of themselves out there on the web for likes and attention and they don't even realize that it's odd.  There are toddlers and fetuses (I'm not kidding) with thousands upon thousands of followers on Instagram accounts managed by parents.  I follow a little dancer with a mom who sets up Instagram accounts for each of her kids so that by the time they are born they have at least 10k followers.  It sets a kid up to seek approval and love from strangers on the internet and we are just now starting to see what that does to a child. Thank god I didn't come of age with social media in the mix.  I can only imagine how damaging that would have been to me considering how affected I feel by it as an adult.  That being said.  I am an adult who grew up before all this stuff existed.  I should be better than this.

I'm really curious about what your thoughts are on social media.  I feel like I'm in the twilight zone on this.  Everyone is drinking the cool-aid and I'm a disgruntled hater.  So glad to get all this out.  It makes me realize even more just how stupid it all is and I already feel a little bit better.

I'll talk a bit more about my novel in another post. 

6 comments:

  1. Heat post Miranda
    I can relate so much
    I don't use FB
    Or Instagram
    Or Twitter
    For exactly the reasons you mention
    I too am highly insecure
    And highly impressionable
    Just yesterday yesterday I almost deleted my blog because of a nasty anonymous commenter
    Because I believed what they said
    Because I am so easily influenced
    I prefer to follow real people
    Who write about what life is really like
    I don't profess that life is all rosy in the garden
    Like you
    I am a grown woman
    And am trying to put my life back together after it's been torn apart
    I don't spend my life doing yoga on the beach
    I battle every day to beat my ED and addiction
    That's what matters to me

    I'm glad to read that you unfollowed a lot of accounts
    You are enough just the way you are
    Never for get that
    Really enjoyed this post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry
      Meant to say great post at the start there x

      Delete
  2. I'm terrible at lying so I only say things I truly mean, and for what it's worth, I think you're great.

    I also am glad I was not raised in an age with all of the social media. I know it would have affected me more than it does today had it had that sort of presence in my younger years. I'd be lying if I said it has no influence on me today, but to be perfectly honest, I had to step away from a lot of it for it to lose it's influence. I don't go on twitter at all anymore. I use facebook about once a week to catch up with my family because they all live about 1,500 miles from me. And I have had to learn to navigate Instagram in a healthy way. Luckily I have a few friends in real life who are legitimate Instagram "celebrities" (with tens and even hundreds of thousands of followers, not yet in the millions) and all for various reasons, which gives me a better view of what goes into making that happen. Some are IF ("Instagram famous") for being professional athletes, one because she lost 175 lbs, and is still working on losing about 40 more, one friend is only really famous because she's pretty and she dated some one famous. And a couple of people are just IF because they are good at looking fabulous online. The nice thing about that, is that I know what they are like in real life. I know how their lives differ from what they look like online, and it's not that their lives aren't great but they are remarkably average. And knowing this makes it much easier to handle the other images I see on instagram. I know those photos aren't the real deal. They're fine and like anything aren't toxic in and of themselves. It's the dose that makes to poison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm.. Lot to think about.. I guess I keep my facebook because it is an easy way for me to stay connected to my family abroad..
    I do have a twitter account, but srsly I don't get that shit.. It's too long, too much TMI and I don't care.. I don't use this blogger account much anymore because I just felt like I was singing the same tune over and over, not achieving anything and the whole thing just depressed me more.
    My Instagram account is used A LOT but that's because I used it as a food log, and to get food ideas..
    Then there is the Linkdin for work relations.. And tumblr - which I use as distraction and to find new ideas..

    I know for a fact that no matter how much I wish I could make a living out of blogging, I wont be able to because as you say I am too a grown up woman and the youth that are all about social media don't give a shit about my stuff.. I suck at advertising myself..
    So yeah I dunno where I really stand on this.. But I sure do spend way too much time on them....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have accounts on twitter and instagram, but I rarely post things myself and just use it to follow other people. It seems stressful trying to spread the word about your own account and having to keep up with it consistently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so weird. You posted this on Nov 20, and that day I took a Facebook Hiatus. It was making me really depressed. I like it to keep in touch with people, and know what's going on in their lives, but it's become nothing but people spouting their political and idealogical views by posting articles. I was seriously getting depressed every time I logged in. I switched to instagram and only follow cats and people I know. Cats always make me happy & people I know don't post a ton. I pretty much just put up pictures of my own cats too.

    ReplyDelete