Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Got Our House Back

We got our house back yesterday.  I came home and there was just hubby playing a video game and mostly silence.  We each sort of retreated into our own corners of isolation and decompression.  It was like we were just so happy to be alone that we didn't even want to talk to each other.

The visit was really great overall.  I had a really good time at the Beach and when we went up to LA and spending time with mom in law and cousin in law.  The kids mostly just got on my nerves.  One of them constantly asked random questions to the point that I started ignoring him.  Grandma caught on and started doing it too.  He eventually stopped asking when he didn't get an answer.  What are you doing?  Why are you talking?  I walk in the house and he says why are you here? He just always has to be talking and engaging with someone.  He is really spoiled too.  When he wants something he cries and cries and keeps asking for it and saying I want it until he either gets it or he realizes it's not happening at all.  So annoying.  Hubby was giving him everything he wanted at first but after a couple days he started learning how to tell him No.  If he wanted to come into our room he let him into our room until I finally said, Look-that kid does not need to come in here.  I am trying to get dressed.  Tell him he can't come in and lock the door.  The baby drooled so much the whole top half of his shirt was always wet and he put his face all over the couch and everything else.  He's teething.  I know kids will be kids.  They can't help it but between the crying and the cartoons and the questions and the constantly wanting this or that I was over it!!

One day I sat at the kitchen table to eat my toast and I wanted to read blogs while I did it but there was his mom wanting to chat.  I don't mind chatting but I already knew the chat would revolve around her.  I love that woman!! She is sweet, but oh my gosh the non stop talking about herself and her own goings on was exhausting.  Then we went out to dinner an she didn't even bring her purse.  Isn't that presumptuous to assume someone else is paying for you?  Hubby can't pay for everything.  He actually didn't bring his wallet because he figured I could take care of his food but I had to pay for mom too and nephew T since apparently hubby was responsible for all of his expenses.  I think the agreement was that hubby would pay for everything for his little nephew since it was his idea for him to come.  She did give me some cash when we got to the house but I just had to turn around and use it to pay for our Pizza that we had for dinner at the beach on night 1.  No one offered to chip in.  I felt bad because hubby spent a lot of money.  He bought extra beach gear, paid for the beach cottage.  Hubby paid for all of us to get in the zoo.  Himself and his cousin were free with a military ID.  His mom frowned up her face when she saw the price and you just knew she was thinking, well I can't afford that someone needs to pay for me.  He paid for parking which was $20 bucks up in LA, gas and the carnival rides and any treats that his nephew wanted.  We spent a lot of money on groceries that came out of our joint account which I was okay with.  I just felt like they were taking advantage of my husband's generosity.  He went to the airport twice on the day they got here and the day they left because they came and left at different times.  Plus, there was an extra trip on top of that at each end to get the rental van which was only available near the airport.  We got it and dropped it off together.  They were already saving money on hotel by staying with us.  I just felt like they should at least have offered to pitch in here and there even if he would refuse it.  I wasn't on vacation.  I didn't have money to be spending when they were here so I tried to buy hubby's food or my own food where I could but mostly I just let whatever happened happen.  It's his family so however it was to be dealt with was up to him so I stayed out of it.

I think his mom is the type that likes to be taken care of.  By whomever will do it.  She's on her 3rd marriage.  She doesn't work and has figured out a way to receive money from the state forever so she doesn't have to.  She married this guy who lives in another country and now she gets money for his step kids as dependents and she expects him to help her out with expenses.  She loves to talk about how her husband takes care of everything and she also loves to complain about how he was supposed to give her $800 but instead paid her credit card off and didn't give her that money for the trip like he was supposed to.  She helped him figure out how to get out of the military when he was only in for maybe 2 years and receive some sort of disability check.  They were supposed to split the van costs.  When hubby told her how much the van rental was going to be she was like-that's a lot for my budget.  Thank goodness he included gas costs because no one even offered to pitch in on that and it was only fair that they do since we went pretty far.  You shouldn't expect your hosts to finance your vacation.  If you go on vacation you should have your own money to spend while you are there.   I'm not going to say that she's totally stingy because she's not.  She has bought some sweet gifts for me and hubby and she did treat us to dinner when we went to visit.  I just get this vibe that getting things is so important to her.  Like, receiving gifts and having her son and husband spend money on her is a feather in her cap.  Something to boast about. She makes sure to tell hubby what she wants for each birthday and mom's day and Christmas well in advance and then she likes to brag to her sister's about how wonderful her son is and what he bought her.  She just really seems to be about what she gets and what others do for her and I think that's what I was mostly annoyed with.  I just have an issue when someone has that expectation and seems to go about their life with their hand out.

She's weirdly obsessed with her son.  Like, she'll say things like, don't put your hands on my son and I think she is only half way joking.  She would marry him herself if she could.  I was thinking that based on the way she would go on and on about him and then she confirmed it.  She literally said if she could she would, except she can't because he's her son.  I have never seen anyone so obsessed with their adult child.

Anyways, they both said they want to come back again but without the kids and that will be fine by me.  T is only 3.  He might be easier to deal with when he is older.  His mom already said she would rather come on her own even without the cousin R.  She said next time it's just going to be me.  I think she wants to be the only guest.  She was bummed that we just stayed home on Sunday because his cousin R wanted to just relax.  I needed to rest too.  I had to go to work Monday.  I was glad we weren't out and with her complaining about her budget did she even have money to do something else anyways?  R is totally self contained.  She can entertain herself a little.  She would watch TV up in the guest room alone or just chill outside for a bit.  She gives us space here and there but his mom has to be right there on you at all times being entertained.

I'm kind of a bitch.

I also didn't have kids for a reason. I really don't have the patience for it.  I'm obviously not maternal enough.  The upside of this whole child immersion experience is that I'm without a doubt certain that my decision not to have children was the right one.  It was kind of gut wrenching before even when I already knew I didn't want any but I feel certain about my choice right now. I don't have the patience or the money for it but I think if I felt I had the money for it I would find the patience.  It really is a beautiful thing.  Even as they were driving me nuts they did have their adorable moments, but worrying about money and a kid?  No thank you.  I don't want to spend thousands of money on daycare and then cry when I have to go back to work because I want to be a stay at home mom but can't and there are only so many hours in the day.  When do working mom's even see their kids? Nights and weekend. When do working mom's get anything done at home?  Nights and weekends?  When do working mom's get a chance to relax?  Mostly never.  I'm already uptight about money and orderliness.  I would be so stressed out.  If I were rich I'd have put off surgery, preserved my eggs for later or hire a surrogate. I'd hire a nanny for extra help if I needed it and we could still afford a decent lifestyle.  If I can't have kids the way I want to have kids then I don't want to do it all.

Okay.  End rant.

4 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog for a while but have never commented. I never had kids and hubby didn't want to either. it was weird admitting it when I was your age--people judged and gave me the impression they all thought I was making this huge mistake and that I'd regret it. I'm almost 50 and no regrets. I cherish the "me time", freedom, and the ability to be spontaneous. I guess I've always been selfish with my time, but hubby says the same about himself so we're just fine. I haven't regretted the decisions I've made when I know I've been true to myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry but that kid sounds so annoying.. My bff's son is 3 and he doesn't behave like that.. Of course he is still a kid and asks stupid questions from time to time, but he understands that a no means no and doesn't throw tantrums because he isn't getting something. I guess it all ends up on how you parent your kids. I might be a mother, but I really don't like other peoples kids lol.. It might sound harsh, but really.. Kids are annoying unless they are your own.. and for some reason.. They are always sticky.. My kid isn't sticky, why are the rest so sticky? :s

    anywho.. Glad you finally got your home back. Regardless how much we might love the visitors, it gets too much to have them over for days at the time. And wtf.. Not wanting to pay for anything?? It just seems wrong.. I mean sure, she is his mom and he should pay for her, but not ALL the time..
    People like that make you regret having them over to begin with..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your blog for awhile, I just have to say that I have a baby myself and I love her more than I can even articulate here but I totally feel the way you do about my in-laws' kids. And actually most kids in general who aren't my daughter. It's weird you can love your own baby so much to the point of crying about it but other people's kids will make you recoil. Also I think it's amazing that you put up with them for so long in your house and seemed to have a good attitude about it... I start to go crazy when my husband's family is at our place for like an hour! But family is important and you have to put up with it and I can tell that family is important to you too. Your husband's mom sounds like a lot to handle. My hubby's mom is so nice and I'm so grateful that she raised her son to be the way he is BUT... she is super passive aggressive and everything is about her, too. Idk I guess I am kind of a bitch too but I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl, it's been a while since I posted or read or commented. So I was just catching up and I just wanted to say I SO support you in the no kids decision. I have 2 and I love them OF COURSE. they are my heart and reason for living. BUT I had a reason for living before I had them too, and if I didn't have them I'd have an awesome life. I am always a little (only word that fits) jealous of kid free friends. and I LOVE it when they go visit grandparents for 2 weeks every summer. I feel bad for saying that but it is true.

    I have a couple girlfriends from high school (I'm 38 now, so they are too) who don't have kids and I'm always like "I support you!" and on facebook one of them announced she's preggers. I was like WOAH really?? I mean I had all these convos with her where she felt like she had to defend to others about her choice. When I was in my early 20's I was like "I'm never having kids" and obviously I changed my mind. I thought she might too, but I never SAID that--that would NOT be respecting her choice. Anyway, sorry for saying this but I'm glad you have 100 percent insurance for an accident happening :-)

    glad to see you're still posting. I need to get back to it
    xo

    ReplyDelete