Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Obsessed

We went to a get together on Saturday.  It was another reminder of how obsessed I tend to be with food.  It was all I could think about.   What are they going to serve?  When are they putting it out?  Will they have desert?  The host got up and put the food in the kitchen.  We were all hanging outside so I got up and got a plate for myself and hubby.  I was thankful that the chips were not in front of me.  The food was situated in a non gathering place so for the rest of the night I did not have easy access to the potato chips and that was a very good thing.  When I walked back and forth from outside to the dine in kitchen where the food was set up I'd grab my plate and grab a few more chips and stuff a few fries in my mouth.  The host thought about ordering pizza.  It was tossed out and then he got on the phone to order it.  I wondered what kind and how long it would take to arrive.  Did they really order Pizza?  When a while had passed I finally had to ask.  I was told that he's not sure that it went through or not and I felt a mixture of disappointment and relief. 

When we all gathered in the living room and I needed to refresh my wine I grabbed a few more chips on the way back discreetly crunching so that it  wasn't obvious that I was munching on potato chips.  Then they brought the bowls of chips to the living area where we were now playing cards.  I wasn't  very close to them so every so often I'd get up and lean over the table to grab a few at a time.

Thinking back I know what really saved me from a food disaster at this party was lack of access.  If it's there I'm typically gonna be shoving it in my mouth but it was never close enough for me to eat much at a time.  In addition to chips, for my meal I ate 5 chicken chunks and some of the fries.  Had all that been sitting right in front of me I may have had more. 

I only gained 0.6 oz overnight, so nothing big really.  Thank god I couldn't reach the snacks or it could have been much worse.  I'm still working on this mind over matter thing.  Some days are harder then others.  I'm doing better at home and even in dining out situations.  My biggest obstacle is BBQ or party settings.  Particularly if there are little finger foods like fries or any kind of chips.  I'm not sure what it is about chips.  I just can't seem to keep my hands out of the bowl when they are around.    

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand your stress! I find that I always do best at parties when I can completely avoid the food (exactly what you're saying about lack of access) and/ or keep chewing gum the whole time to keep from grazing (I find that once I start, it can be extremely difficult to stop--especially if there's alcohol involved). That's awesome that you did so well!

    Do you have any tips for dining out? Those are still the situations that get me into the most trouble. :(

    ReplyDelete