Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Behavior, Consequences and 125 lbs?

If only it were this easy

Source:  Grosvenor and Smolin; Visualizing Nutrition

Exercise makes weight management easier because it increases both energy needs and lean body mass. During exercise, energy expenditure can rise well above the resting rate, and some of this increase persists for many hours after activity slows.  Over time, regular exercise increases lean body mass. Even at rest, lean tissue uses more energy than fat tissue; therefore, the increase in lean body mass increases basal energy expenditure. The combination of increased energy output during exercise, the rise in energy expenditure that persists for a period after exercise, and the increase in basal needs over the long term can have a major impact on total energy expenditure. The more energy you expend, the more food you can consume while maintaining a healthy weight.

Isn't it funny how we know exactly what we should do but often find it so damn hard to do it? The formula is simple and yet we search for all kinds of gimmicks, extreme diets and other ways to get out of it.  Eat less, exercise more.  Don't over eat.  Avoid high sugar and high fat foods.  Eat anything in moderation.  That's it.  But why is it so hard?  Well, I know part of my problem is that I'm trying to maintain a weight lower then my body wants to.  The thick blue veins that stand out in my arms.  My bony elbows and shoulders.  My bony chest.  These are all signs that my body isn't supposed to be this size.  Life would be so much simpler if I could only be happy with 120 lbs.  My reasonable rational brain knows that I look good at 120.  Most of my clothes would actually fit me better at 120.  I wouldn't have to struggle so much at 120 lbs.  Even 125 is a good number on my body.  Maybe someday that will be good enough for me.  I'm hoping.  But until that day comes the delusional eating disordered mind is in control and  it's 112 lbs or bust. 

3 comments:

  1. *sigh*
    Only if it was that easy ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good LORD, if only...
    If it was that easy, I would be a rock star at goal-weight-reaching... Haha. But wouldn't we all?
    I think you would look absolutely fantastic, thin, and HOT at 125!! You are so tall that even that is thin! But... I also completely understand the feeling that it's not good enough.
    I know that 120 is a "desired weight" for my height and body type, but my brain screams, "HELL NO!!"
    I want 110.
    I want 105.
    I want 100.
    You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing is that easy...it's like telling a smoker that cigarettes are bad for your health. We all know we should eat in moderation and exercise to have a healthy weight...food is just too addicting to sacrifice at times.

    I feel you on the crazy thoughts about weight loss though. I'm tired of hearing people say that I need to eat/ gain more. I don't necessarily disagree with them, but I just feel happier and more comfortable being lighter.

    ReplyDelete