Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Vacation Eating

So, I'm back.  My vacation was good but there is nothing like being in my own bed and having my own bathroom back.  We stayed at his Mom's and then his Dad's 2 nights each.  It was clean but not too much gets past my OCD neat freak eagle eye and I never feel too comfortable anywhere but home.  The flight there was awful.  Overnight flights are always rough.  We did a lot of visiting with his family.  It was go, go, go.  Lot's of driving although hubby only made me drive once.  It was so HOT!  I am not used to all that humidity and I hated being eaten alive by bugs.  It's nice to be home in my house but it's also nice to be back to the land of perfect weather.  Getting old seems like hell.  We visited with both of his grandmother's who are in various stages of recovery from falls and subsequent surgery.  They both live in old folks homes.  I actually felt young for a change being around all those old folks.  The family reunion was fun.  We were there all....day.....long.  I was happy to be the skinniest one there until someone else showed up who I think is actually smaller.  From the rear there was just nothing to her and I can only hope that people might think that when they look at me.  The most vigorous exercise I had was when we went paddle boating at the lake where the reunion was at and walking on the boardwalk at the beach.  It's too hot to exert much energy outdoors.  I sort of made hubby buy me these earrings at a little beach shop.  I sort of went on about how they would be just perfect for this necklace and bracelet I already have and how I don't have money to buy it.  He ignored me so I said, "Aren't you gonna buy it for me?"  I'm usually not "that girl."   I don't ask or expect anyone to buy me anything but they were only $10, I REALLY wanted them and I knew he could afford it even if I can't.  Am I a little witch or what?  I love traveling with hubby and I'm really glad that he wanted me to go and that I was able to. 

His mom is so sweet.  She loves the hell out of her son that's for sure.  It's sad because hubby is always in such a rush to get to his Dad's and sort of waives off his mom when mom is the one who was always there for him.  Yes, his mom can be a bit smothering but it's just because she loves him.  His dad never went to any of his games in high school and was really iffy on financial support.  It's no wonder.  He is that eternal bachelor type who doesn't want to commit to anyone, not even his kids.  He never follows through on his word.  He said he'd come to our wedding but never showed up.  He wouldn't even answer the phone.  Then, he tries to make nice and offers to buy a grill for us.  Did he?  Nope.  And I knew he wouldn't.  Why did he even have to bother offering?  No one asked him for anything.  I was cordial and I will remain cordial because I don't want there to be any drama but his dad is just not the kind of person I like.  I do not like his character.  Hubby is so good natured that he just forgives and forgets.  His dad is lucky to have a son as forgiving as him and who turned out to be a much better man then he.

Food wise I think I could have done way worse.  There were two days that I got soft serve ice cream out when normally I wouldn't.  I didn't ever go above 1500 calories on any day but the bottom line is that I can't maintain the low weight I want eating normally.  There were times when I checked out the menu, ordered what I felt was totally light, ate it and still felt so darn full.  On Friday I ordered Chili and ate 3 hush puppies.  I only drank half my beer and I was stuffed.  On Sunday I ordered a Cobb Salad with light dressing.  It was a decent size but I still didn't expect to be so stuffed.  On Monday we went to this BBQ place for dinner with his grandmother.  I ordered a cup of Chili and a side salad.  It came with a corn bread muffin.  I did munch on some of the chips they put on the table but after eating what I thought was a light meal I was stuffed.  I couldn't quite figure it out.  I didn't even feel much of a desire to pig out so I'd make a decent selection but next thing I knew I'd be stuffed.  There were times where I didn't even want to eat out but you know...you sort of have to.  I wanted to order just a side salad at times but I felt weird about doing that so I'd get the combo or the dinner salad.  Next time I should just say screw it and get what I really feel comfortable eating and not care about how anyone else feels about it.  The other issue is that I hardly went #2 at all!  I had just one decent dump during the five days we were there.   I did bring my Fiber 1 but I was feeling so overloaded that I skipped it for two days.  I can't wait to get my system cleaned out again.

After a long day of traveling and coming back to a dead car battery the first thing I did last night was go running.  We were only delayed for a little bit while waiting for our battery jump.  I was so tired that I knew I had to go home and straight outside or it wouldn't happen.  I did 45 minutes of running and walking.  I ran for 4 minutes, 10 minutes,  and 13 minutes with walking in between.  Every time I felt like I wanted to stop I thought about my weight and all that eating I just did.   Running is actually the 2nd thing I did.  The first thing I did was weigh in.  115.5!!  I went running and it dropped to 114.5 lbs.  I was hoping I'd lose over night but I was still 114.5 lbs today.  How sad.  My hip was only a little sore from running but overall my body handled it a lot better then it did last time.  I went to the gym as soon as I got up.  I spent an hour on the Elliptical and burned 540 calories.  There is no time to waste.  I gained 3.5 lbs and I won't be satisfied until 2.5 of it is gone and I'm back at 112 lbs.  And so we begin again.

Hubby wanted to cook dinner tonight.  I told him I really just want a sandwich but he insisted so I said "Fine, you can cook but I'm letting you know I won't be having any."  He's since decided not to.  I am totally OVER food at the moment thank you very much.  He said it would be healthy but so what.  The thought of real food is just too much for me.  It was really cool that I got to keep up with my blogs on my phone while I was gone.  I just couldn't comment.  I tend to feel out of sorts when I get back from vacation.  It always seems like there is so much to do after being gone so I'm glad I took today off.  I got to go to the gym, get my hair done, get organized and do laundry.  Back to work tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. welcome back, sounds like you had a vacation success and you were able to cope as well as could be expected being out of your element...good for you!

    you'll be back on track in a few short days, slow and steady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you already have it in the bag :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good vacation! It's also nice to hear that your hubby's father didn't ruin him. Good men are becoming increasingly hard to come by.

    Good luck dropping those pounds! I am leaving on vacation this afternoon (for like, ten days... yikes!) and I am worried about the food situation. A lot can go wrong in ten days. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome back I've missed your posts! sounds like your vacation went well. I hope you were able to enjoy the break from the routine. I totally understand when you say there's nothing like being home in your own bed though!

    You are so disciplined with everything so I'm really confident that you'll hit your goals in no time. just take it one day at a time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a good vacation.. I am glad over being home too.. the hotel beds do freak me out :S And I am dreading the scale.. A 3 lbs gain would be ok in my book atm..
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! I left a comment the other day but I'm guessing it went into Spam (again!). I moved to a new blog name so hopefully this will solve the issue. I'm also doing comments as Name/URL and not my Google account.. is that what you usually do on blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job on the running, I know u have knee issues so it probably easnt the funnest form of exercise for you. I know 100% what u mean by having fun on vacation but wanting to be in your own bed surrounded by your own standard of cleanliness.

    Glad that you had above vacation despite the flight!

    ReplyDelete