Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Calorie Research Gone Wild

111.2 lbs

I don't know what's wrong with me. Lately I've been obsessed and totally consumed by researching calories in things I have eaten, might eat or may order out in a restaurant. I've always been obsessed with adding what I eat into my calorie tracker and doing research if the nutritional info isn't posted but now I'm adding all kinds of variations and adding in a few things I haven't even eaten yet. It's getting ridiculous. It all started when hubby got a groupon for two burgers at a restaurant I really like. I knew I was going to be going out to eat a burger and fries out at a restaurant at some point; which I haven't done since November of 09. They don't list their nutritional information so I started scouring various restaurant websites to determine how many calories might be in the burger and fries that I'd be ordering. Then I got obsessed with ounces because a lot of times the variations that you see at different restaurants is due to sheer size and the amount served. I finally came up with 2 burger and 1 fry calculation I felt comfortable with and then came the Pizza. I began researching that because I knew we were going to be going out on our pizza date. Along the way I started doing research on all kinds of other things that I typically like to order. Quesadilla, Chix Tenders, Potato Skins, Cobb Salad, Chicken & Rice Bowl, Spring Rolls, Taco's, Lasagna....the list just goes on and on. I even researched the calories of waffles and I never even order them but you know, just in case I decide to order them some day. My mind just spins with how much food weighs and how many calories it is and then comparing it to other places. I've become annoyed that restaurants that go to great lengths to provide nutritional information of Potato Skins and Cheese Sticks but refuse to list how many are in each order. I won't know how many each one is without that information. I even called a few places to ask them how many cheese sticks are in their appetizer order. The lady that answered the phone at a steakhouse in Texas probably thought I was a freak. Then, I can tell they don't actually know but don't want to check so I don't trust what they tell me and I end up back at square one.  It makes a huge difference in calorie count if they say 10 and it's only 9.  I am laughing as I write this because of how ridiculous it sounds. I even entered apples, oranges and potatoes based on exact ounces because with size variations I want to make sure I am calculating the right amounts. It goes on for hours and hours at a time. I'm so out of control!!

There are a lot of generic values and different restaurant food info in my app and I use Calorie King a lot but sometimes I don't trust them and if they don't list the ounces then it's still not a clear picture. Granted, I could wait until I actually eat something then add it to my phone but I have become fixated with wanting to be as accurate as possible on calorie counting. Especially since I have a great app that I can customize and add everything into. I also think part of it is this concept of wanting to allow myself to eat what I want but in moderation. If I know exactly how much is in each item I can eat just the amount I want and still be OK. Or, if I'm going to pig out I want to know exactly what the damage is. I want to know which is going to be my best bet for happy hour foods and be prepared for when these situations come up. Eating something high calorie and fattening makes me feel out of control but somehow knowing the values in advance and planning for it takes some of that control back. I'm not totally satisfied with what I came up with for Potato Skins but the next time I go to a restaurant that lists calorie info I can ask them how many are in each. A totally reasonable question for someone sitting down in a restaurant right?  Even thought it still might be hit and miss and my estimations could be wrong if I've done my due dilligence it's good enough for me.  And to think....I never even used to count calories at all.  When I first started my weight loss journey I barely knew how many calories were in anything.  It seemed too confusing and I think I just really didn't want to know.  Ahhh...ignorance was bliss.  Anyhow, I think I've pretty well loaded my app with enough stuff for the time being. I think it's just a phase but really, this has got to stop because it's driving me nuts!! Clearly, I have way too much time on my hands at work and in general and therefore need to get a life!!

5 comments:

  1. OMG I do that too! And I agree...you can never REALLY know how many calories something has unless you calculate it by ounce. I always try to find the calories per ounce!!! lol


    ~MLM

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I was doing that last night! The restaurant I went to today didn't have nutrition info so I was seeing how many calories are in a single spear of asparagus and floret of broccoli, and trying to average most counts on wild rice. When I see my coworker take whipped cream cheese and spread about 3x the serving size on a bagel thin, just before complaining about her weight, I feel totally vindicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I don't have to do that going on a prefixed meal plan.. I can go crazy to find out the content and most of the times I either don't eat it.. Or it ends in a binge..
    But ya sometimes I catch my self rambling about how many calories different things have as soon as someone brings it up.. makes me feel like a freak:P but I rather know and be a freak than not knowing..
    Sometimes I wish the calorie/carb/protein/fat contents were ALWAYS listed.. But I guess then they would risk losing customers cause of it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I used to do that- I stopped because I really got insane, and now I kinda vaguely count calories. It is hard though. I wish all restaurants just told you- I think it should be the law, honestly, with the obesity on the rise and all that. Though, clearly it wouldn't necessarily be good for people like us... but we'd love it! I suppose a lot of the times ignorance is definitely bliss though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've just worked very hard. I understand.

    ReplyDelete