Had a great trip to visit my little sis in SF. It was freezing and windy there so I was pretty much cold all the time. What else is new. The icy wind about blew me down at times. I'm so glad I got a fresh hair cut. My hair would have looked so jacked if I hadn't but with my new blunt ends it held up pretty well. I don't even care so much about losing some length-I just want my hair to get healthy. We got out and do some sight seeing and I got to spend some time with little sis' which was pretty cool. We went over to her house the very first night after checking in. She made tacos for dinner. Her apartment does have cute hardwoods and a big closet but it is so small-well particularly the bathroom! And dirty. Oh boy, little sis is not like me. I could not live that way. They obviously don't pay much attention to cleaning but I hope they do before my entire family goes to stay with her later this month. It made me a little sad to see her in such a tiny apartment in such a rundown type building. But hey, up until last year I was in a studio myself smaller then that even if it was brand new. They haven't done any decorating and their furniture is sort of beat up. The building hallways smelled funny and looked worn down. I mean, it wasn't that bad but I could not see myself ever living there. I've lived in enough cheapo apartments with zero decor to last me a lifetime anyways. It's in the city and it's expensive there so that's how people live unless you are rich. Her boyfriend is so very sweet. It was nice getting to know him a little bit.
Our hotel was OK. I've definitely stayed in nicer but that city is so damn expensive and $180 per night is the best we could find without it being a Flea bag hotel or by the airport. I tend to be a bit of a neat freak and saw certain areas of the bathroom that did not meet my standards and I definitely kept my house shoes on but it was good enough. We went bar hopping the first night. I stayed out later then I ever have in a long time. About 1:30 am or so. I was beat!! We had a really good breakfast Friday. We waited in line outside in the freezing wind for about 50 minutes! It was good though. I refused to get the same old Omelet like always. I mean, this place has been on the Food Network and is an institution there. So, I got French Toast-no sides. Friday we mostly shopped all day. I was basically like someone possessed. I don't know what came over me. I got really good deals and I used being on vacation as my justification. I really didn't spend a lot of money but really I realistically felt I could afford $0 so anything was too much. Oh well. All of the purchases have not cleared yet so I won't know the extent of that damage until tomorrow. I used two different credit cards and I don't remember exactly how much I spent on each. How bad is that! Saturday Alcatraz Island was awesome. My legs are still sore from all the walking we did. I have a prison obsession and this totally satisfied my curiosity. It was like $36 bucks each and I paid for all three of us since I booked it. I didn't want my lil' sis to pay me back. She is such a sweetheart and I know she doesn't make much money. It was totally worth it though-we all had a good time. I cannot imagine living in one of those freezing, tiny, disgusting cells. How awful. We met my cousins for dinner that night and I ate at a Thai restaurant for the first time ever. By the time Sunday rolled around all we really had time for was breakfast and then waiting to check out. I did more shopping. What is wrong with me?
I had such a great time. Lil' sis had to work and was only totally off Saturday but she works part time type hours so we still got to see her every day. I hope she finds another job soon. I feel bad because I know she is struggling financially being newly out of college and still looking for a "real" job. I just want her to be happy and find her way. I am so glad that we are getting closer. She used to just be my bratty little sister. With 10 years age difference that is not surprising but it's so awesome that we have re connected as she's gotten older and I love that lil' gal so much!! They are talking about moving to Hawaii where the living is easier. I can't say that I blame them. He hates his job and works bad hours. He has no intentions of going to college. He wants to surf during the day and bartend at night. He clearly doesn't aspire to much but I actually think that is OK. Sometimes the rat race of working to pay for your things gets old. They would live in his family house which needs some fixing up. Their expenses would be low and they would just get to live. I'm not sure what lil' sis' would do. I imagined her living the jet set life some day and being rich. She majored in film editing so I thought maybe she'd move to LA or something. I figured one of us three sisters should be rich with a fancy job right? I don't know how she will ever pay off her student loans. I'm afraid that she has overstretched her education cost to actual expected job salary ratio. Whatever they decide, I know they will figure it out. She says he is a keeper so if he makes her happy then he's what I want for her. I see way too many people in bad relationships and if she's got a good one that's great
It was the first Mother's Day that I haven't spent with Mom but her gift and big sis's gifts got there in time. They both love what I got them. We NEEDED to do this trip that weekend so that was that. The first thing I did when I got home is unpack and the second thing I did is weigh in. It was 114.8 which is sort of nasty but I wouldn't know for sure what the damage was until this morning. I was scared I'd still be in the 114's but nope......it was 113.2 and not so bad. Bottom line is eating on vacation has it's pitfalls. I cannot replicate my low cal day to day diet of home for the most part and I do want to have some indulgences here and there. Every day though, I made the conscious decision not to go hog wild. Yes, I ate French toast but I didn't have any sides. Yes, I ate 5 mini donuts for a snack one day. Yes, I generally ate more then I do at home. But No, I did not use it as an excuse to pig out. No, I did not order a slice of pizza Friday night as we walked back to our hotel just because my husband and sister were and it smelled awesome. I stuck to tequila shots that night when we went out and Friday night I only ordered the Small Vegetarian Chili. I bought a cup cake on Friday like hubby but couldn't bring myself to eat it so it's sitting in the fridge at home. Breakfast the last day was the worst. My good intentions sort of spiraled out of control because what I got ended up adding up more then I expected. The meal didn't come a la carte so I ended up with toast and hash browns in addition to my Egg White Omelete. I ate 1/2 the browns and 1/2 the toast but still-it went very wrong! Oh well. If I had gained a lot I would have been very upset but I don't think I would have felt too mad at myself because I know that for the most part I made pretty good decisions considering.
I am so damn tired right now. Work is hell on earth right now because of how tired I am. It is utterly ridiculous how much traveling impacts my system. We didn't even switch time zones and I feel like a total train wreck. I will not be going to the gym today that's for sure. I actually feel ill. I think I need one more day to recover.
WB :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good time, and you did so great with the food while you were away. Made good choices eventhough you could have eaten alot more.
Have a day off and recover. Its not worth getting sick and not being able to workout at all this week.
that sounds like such a fun trip. I've never been all the way to the west coast... I'm dying to go!
ReplyDeleteI am the same way when it comes to traveling. It takes me forever to recover.
ReplyDeleteBut I am glad you had a good trip. It's nice to see sisters. They are the best :)
Get some rest! I always need a vacation from vacations! lol
ReplyDelete~MLM