Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Job Reject

Last night I mentioned to hubby that I had gotten rejected from yet ANOTHER federal job I applied for and that I was officially giving up. I have been applying for years and years to various federal jobs. I have probably been rejected about 50+ times. I really can't count and for the most part don't even bother anymore. I just kind of applied to two recently on a whim and got rejected from both as expected. He asked me "Well what do you want to do?, Do you WANT to do secretarial work?" I told him I don't do what I want I do what I can. A book editor, love to. A model, sounds great. A writer, sign me up!! Again. I do what I can.

I try not to think of my job situation too much. For the most part I have made peace with my position in life. I like my job well enough and the benefits are good. When I don't let my mind wander to what if's could of should of's or wishes I find that I am much better off. I have accepted that I am kind of a loser and that I will not make much money in my lifetime. Sad yes, but reality and one that I am doing much better at coming to terms with. Every now and then though, if I allow myself to think about it then it does get me down.

This is how I try to rationalize things. Not everyone in the world was meant to be rich or a doctor. If everyone went to school and became a doctor then who would work the fast food restaurants, answer phones in the office, or clean up bathrooms in those offices? We need every type of position to keep the world going and accordingly there are people in the world destined to fill those positions. It's just the way it it.

I try not to look too down on myself for not doing too much with my life. I am able to pay my bills. I save up what money I can. I get to take trips here and there. I have good health insurance. I like my job. At this point I must be content with that. I have to be.

2 comments:

  1. Those federal jobs can be iffy. I know I applied to probably 20 or 25 when I was in undergrad preparing for graduation. They’d take *forever* to get back to me; some didn’t disqualify me until months or even YEARS later, which by then, I forgotten I had even applied.

    Don’t feel bad; one of my friend’s was “hired” for a government position in September and didn’t start working until this month! She was freaking out over how to pay her mortgage, car note… she even got a job a T.G.I. Fridays to try and supplement her unemployment for awhile and she’s a lawyer!

    If you have a job right now, keep working it but also keep applying to federal jobs if that’s what you want to do. Treat it like playing the lotto; you don’t expect to win, so just don’t think about it. This might reduce your stressing out over it. Also, is it possible you’re applying for jobs you’re over-qualified for and that’s why they’re not hiring you? Try to aim higher for more advanced positions… could help.

    Good luck!
    ♥ TisbA

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is one thing you wrote I find extremely important:
    You like your job.
    Imagine having a highly paid job with lots of benefits and you would hate it every single day. What good would it be to you? You would get a bad mood every morning, you would have a bad mood in the evenings, get in fights with hubby, get a stomach ulcer, would lose hope for a better life and in the end, I think, you would not be happy with all the money you got. shopping can make a bad day better, but it can not make every bad day better, and it does not stick.

    You should be proud of yourself, by the way, because you found something you like, some people need a lifetime to find this. You are right, you pay your bills, you save a little, you can buy stuff now and then, don´t focus on the things you cannot have. There would always something you would miss. That´s not rationalizing, that´s just being true to yourself.
    And I think you would be capable of many other things... don´t bring yourself down!

    Take good care...

    ReplyDelete