Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Playing Hostess

The work conference was boring at times but I got some really good information and it was better then being in the office.  I think I did pretty OK at the as far as food goes.  The hotel really rolled out the red carpet for us.  The food was really good and plentiful.  They had coffee, cookies, brownies and candy sitting out for a lot of it.  They did offer some healthy stuff too.  On Thursday there was lunch, Friday they had breakfast and lunch and Saturday just breakfast.  On Thursday and Friday I basically couldn't eat when I got home since I'd already consumed my calories for the day which kind of sucked.  That meant no TV munching.  Saturday I made sure to do really good with my choices so that I could still eat when I got home.  I am not a big fan of eating much during the day.  It makes me feel heavy, I hate knowing that I can't eat anything else for the rest of the day and I get nervous when I see a higher number on the scale when I get home. 

I did something pretty out of character on Sunday.  I decided to play hostess and invited a few ladies over for a little get together.  With hubby being out of town this was a good time to do it.  My work conference ended at 12pm on Saturday and I went grocery shopping for it right after that.  It takes me forever even with a list. Well, 2 hours but that was long enough.  I have to look at the nutrition information on every package, consider the price and I can never make up my mind.  Then, I started getting paranoid about if I was buying enough wine and everything else.  It's quite exhausting really. 

Sunday I got up and started some house cleaning right away.  Then, I took a shower and started making my two simple dishes.  I wasn't trying to do too much work so everything else I just bought.  Around 2:30pm my first guest arrived.  There were only 5 but everyone I invited (except 1) showed up even though it was pretty last minute.  Being that it was my party it was nice to have control over the food.  I had tortilla chips instead of Potato Chips.  I knew that I had only used 1 tbsp of olive oil for the potatoes and that the Pasta for my pasta salad was whole wheat and the Italian dressing was Light.  I knew how many calories was in the flat bread and made sure to buy the corn not flour taquitos.  For dessert I bought light ice cream and sugar free pound cake along with a higher calorie Cinnamon marble for variety.  I stuck to 1 taquito and about a 1/3 serving of everything else along with some wine and my dessert.  I tried not to do too much snacking on the cheese and crackers or tortilla chips.  I was really worried about the scale but when I weighed in that night I was surprised that I had only gone up a pound to 113.  Huh?  Usually after a party of snacking, munching and drinking I'm way up.  I don't feel like I did too much different then I've been doing at social settings.  I drank wine.  I ate but with moderation.  I  kept the cals around 1,200.  My results on the scale were better then I expected.  I was back down to 112 lbs this morning.  Yes!!  So everyone had a good time and it was really nice having them over.  I get so caught up in being a homebody who doesn't want to eat and isn't into cooking that I often don't make the effort to do things like this.  It takes prep, costs money and you have to clean up.  Sometimes I get all anxious about having a bunch of people in my house for some reason but I must say I'm really glad I did it.  It's been a year and some of them hadn't even seen our house yet.  They were most excited about the closet renovation.  It is a pretty awesome closet.  It made me feel good that I actually have friends that actually want to come over and hang out with me.  I get so hard on myself for having "no friends" but the reality of it is that I actually do.  We often go long periods of time without seeing or talking to each other but they are still my friends.

I am really missing not getting to sleep in on Saturday morning.  It was only one extra 1/2 day but it makes a huge difference and I feel it now.  Poor hubby.  He is working 7 days a week right now.  I don't know how he does it but I'm all worn out with 5 1/2.  I have a dentist appointment so I get to leave at 3:30pm thank goodness.  I had a weekend off but now back to foreclosure business.  I tried to get through to a CPA this morning to talk about tax issues but ran out of time.  I'll try again at lunch.  I got to work early and faxed over my loan information to this guy who may be able to assist with a short sale if I'm allowed to go that route.  My tenant was over on Saturday at my get together.  Gosh, I feel soooo bad that all of this is going on and it's going to negatively impact her.  I want to educate myself and figure out what I'm going to do before I mention any of this to her. 

I found this video on the net a couple days ago.  It took her about 3 years but she lost 110 lbs and looks great in a bikini now.  Great inspirational story.  Also, I know some of my followers are dance lovers so I wanted to tell you about Dance Mom's on Lifetime if you haven't seen it yet.  Yep, another reality show.  I discovered it last week and can't wait for this weeks episode. 


7 comments:

  1. Great job with your ladies get together! That sounds like it was a lot of fun, plus you didn't gain a ton like you thought you might have. That's the best. I often skip out on social situations because I'm scared to eat or drink the extra calories and/or miss a workout, but I ended up going to the beach yesterday and I fel so great about it afterwards :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow! a dinner party! sounds like you pretty much pulled out all of the stops. I'm the same way, I get really nervous about having people over the house, but I'm always glad I did it afterwards. And knowing what's going to be on the table is always a plus too. "They did offer some healthy stuff too." glad I'm not the only one who's noticed that the veggies and fruit are always added as an afterthought! tsk tsk. And yeah, I saw that pageant girl on Entertainment Tonight or the Insider or one of those shows and they were talking about her stunning weight loss. Incredible! RaeLynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how similar you and I are sometimes - I hope that's not insulting to you haha! I'm also hard on myself for having "no friends", spend hours trying to balance price vs calorie content at the grocery store, and worry about "getting it right" when guests come over. The party sounds awesome though - I'm glad you had a good time.
    Sorry to hear your hubs is working so much atm. If you don't mind me asking a personal question, how do you deal with him being gone so much?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are doing the right thing about getting all your facts right before you tell her anything.
    Glad you have a good time playing hostess ^^

    Sort of funny how they say "she is hungry to become... " and I thought.. I bet she is lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is so fun! I love hosting events and cooking for people. It is hard not to over-eat it though, so way to go you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope playing hostess was helpful in getting your mind off things for a bit, and it's great that you were so self-controlled!

    Thank you for posting the video, I hadn't seen it. Great story :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I TOTALLY relate about the having people over and shopping for it... SO stressful. I'm glad you had fun with your friends.
    And that video is wonderful!
    I'm so obsessed with weight loss stories.

    ReplyDelete